Potential IIO meeting / future directions discussion at ELCE 2018 - Edinburgh 22-24 Oct

Hi All,

I know at least a few IIO developers are likely to be at the Embedded Linux
Conference Europe in a few months time.   Hence this email is exploring the
possibility of us doing something we have never done for IIO before and have
a formal meet up.   I would propose the topics to discuss would be loosely
around future directions for IIO development.  This might consist of actual
proposals or simply discussion of pain points.

I'm not sure how long a session would be sensible, but one possibility is
to propose it as a BoF as that fits in their standard schedule without needing
any additional organization - I think by default that only gives us an hour or
so.  However, the deadline to propose one of those is this Sunday so things are
little tight.  We don't need a fully planned schedule but it would be good to
have made a start.  If we decide to do this I'll write an abstract and submit it.

So I'm looking for topics and some idea of who is going to be there
or might be persuaded to make the trip!

Chances are we won't actually 'finish' any non trivial discussions, but it is
a lot easier to make progress on topics that you've at least outlined in person.

Please forward to anyone who may be interested and might not see it on the list
before Sunday.  Obviously Sunday isn't a cut off for discussion, it's just when
I have hope to be able to draw together a proposal!

Jonathan

p.s. I'm planning to put a normal talk session proposal in as well. It'll trawl
through a bit of the history of IIO (it's 10 years old this year!), lessons learned
etc.  Not a tutorial, but an analysis of some more general useful stuff with
just enough description of IIO to let the uninitiated know what we are talking
about!  I'll also touch on encouraging new contributors etc.  No idea if the
committee will like that approach, so who knows ;)