Re: Work plan to move meter out of staging

On 06.03.2018 14:41, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

On 6 March 2018 13:04:31 GMT, Daniel Baluta <daniel.baluta@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Ma, 2018-03-06 at 09:36 -0300, Rodrigo Siqueira wrote:
Hi,

On 05.03.2018 17:30, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
In general I think this is a great idea, however looking at it from
different angle -
Most of the supported metering circuits are already marked as not
recommended for new designs.
While Analog Devices have a very strong product portfolio in the
Metering IC
space, all of the parts in
staging/iio/meter are from 2011 and before and have already seen
multiple
product iterations since then.
A major rework of these drivers might require testing,
unfortunately these
drivers were developed by a different team which now pursues
different
responsibilities.
So I won’t be able to test them again, and therefore I’m also a bit
hesitant
to lift them out of staging.
I have seen your message a few minutes ago, just after I sent a patch
series that removes checkpatch problems from meter module. Anyway,
after
your comments, I believe that is a better idea to work on another
module
in the staging. Is that ok Daniel?

Hi,

I think it is still a good idea to make the checkpatch changes in the
meter directory
from staging.
For work already done I agree but perhaps we can find a better target for effort going forward.

Michael, what is the position on the CDC drivers and the resolver ones?

The CDC and resolvers are much better targets. The products are still appropriate for new designs. And what the CDC drivers are concerned I still have HW to test.

Jonathan

Just for curiosity, what is the process to remove meter from staging?

Make sure we use the standard IIO interfaces, good quality code and
good testing :).

thanks,
Daniel.

--
Greetings,
Michael

--
Analog Devices GmbH      Otl-Aicher Strasse 60-64      80807 München
Sitz der Gesellschaft München, Registergericht München HRB 40368,