Re: [patch 1/1] LIBATA: Allow devices without IRQ specified to fall back

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:50:00 +0100
Ben Dooks <ben-linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:14:50PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Does anyone know if the ALi M5229 actually exists outside of one of
> > > the M1543 bridges?
> >
> > Yes - it exists in various forms in all sorts of ALi/ULi chipset products.
> >
> > > Note, this hardly seems to be a board-quirk, it is more of a device
> > > quirk...
> >
> > Your description so far is of "device not put in a valid configuration
> > according to the spec"  - that seems to me to be board problems.
>
> No, the configuration is correct, you cannot assign this device an
> PCI IRQ when it is embedded in the M1543 bridge. The bridge itself
> has other configuration registers that specify where the IDE IRQs
> get routed.

You aren't listening: "according to spec" - there is a specification for
how legacy and native mode ATA controllers function and should be
configured. You are describing a situation which appears to be outside
that spec entirely.

Alan