Re: [patch 1/1] LIBATA: Allow devices without IRQ specified to fall back

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 04:32:16PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > is not correclty supported by libata as the pdev->irq field
> > has no valid interrupt set. This is due to the legacy IRQ
> > check in ata_pci_sff_activate_host() only checking to see
> > if the device class is legacy, not that the IRQ has been
> > setup.
>
> It does that check as that is the correct check to do. If the device is
> in native mode with no assigned IRQ we must poll, we cannot assume that
> legacy interrupts are in use.
>
> > Change ata_pci_sff_activate_host() to try the legacy IRQ
> > numbers (which works correctly) when the dev->irq has not
> > been set. The current check for !legacy_mode && dev->irq
> > does not deal with devices that are not in legacy mode
> > but do not have mapped interrupts.
>
> If they have no mapped interrupt and are not in legacy mode then they
> have no interrupt we can use and we should poll. Your assumption that if
> no IRQ is assigned we should use the legacy interrupts is incorrect for
> PC class systems.
>
> Can you not correct this with a PCI quirk handler for your board instead ?

Ok, however the drivers/ide/pci/alim15x3.c still works fine
on this board, so there's something that something in the libata
driver path not working properly. Possibly drivers/ata/pata_ali.c
that is missing something

I will check this over tommorow and come up with a new solution.

--
Ben

Q:      What's a light-year?
A:      One-third less calories than a regular year.