Re: S2API drivers sync

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 15:47 -0500, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> > It's snowing here in New York -- I plan to write code all weekend.
> > Y'all should keep your pants on, and maybe you'll realize that there
> > really is nothing to complain about.  Free work == no bitching
> > allowed!
> >
> > /rant
> >
> > -Mike
>
> Seconded.
>
> To those of you who are dissatisfied with the speed at which device
> support is coming: do what I did a year ago: learn the codebase and
> start submitting patches.
>
> This is an understaffed project done by volunteers for no money.
> Being abused by users who feel they have some entitlement to having
> their devices supported is unacceptable.

As a user, even a user who does not know how to code to save his life,
you can do other things to help.

You can start by being polite.

Then you can ask nicely.

In exchange for new code you can take charge of a few things.

For example coders usually hate to document outside of their own code.
Take charge of the wiki page of your device and make sure that it is
clear and up-to-date.

Then prod, poke, ask, politely.

When new code comes in, test, and give feedback, constructive and polite
feedback.

And document some more.

And prod, poke, ask, politely.

and test.. and give feedback... and ask again...

After a while you usually end up with working code, and happy.

And if you stop there because your device is working fine and your job
and family are taking 110% of you time, than sit back and enjoy your
working TV system in the remaining 40%. ;o)

In any case you were not completely selfish.

It worked for me and the Nova-T-500.

Nico
yeah, a bit selfish too...