Re: lifeview pci trio (saa7134) not working through diseqc anymore

Hi,

just to avoid some new myth :)

Am Freitag, den 12.12.2008, 14:22 +0100 schrieb Jordi Moles Blanco:
> [...]
> >

> Again, that was made me thing that i had broken something in my card or
> my diseqc switch, as i can tune from both separately but not together
> through diseqc.
> It doesn't make much sense to me that the card is half-broken.... i
> mean... i can tune any satellite but not through diseqc.... but i asked
> because i'm no a hardware expert at all.
>
> >> i've checked cables and i don't think it's an issue from the diseq thing,
> >> cause i've got two and both give the same problem.
> >>

> > Two?  Two what -- DiSEqC switches, two cables to switches?
> >
> > Do you have a normal consumer satellite receiver, as well
> > as your different computer boxes?
> >

> two diseqc switch to play with. lifeview is not working with any of them.
>
> i've got an engel tdt 5300 receiver, but diseqc never worked there.  I
> bought it when i had only one dish. When then i set the second one, i
> also fought to get diseqc working and i ended up trying the lifeview in
> my computer, which worked in windows. I though that it might  be a
> problem with engel's tunner, so i just let it go.
>
> i haven't tried now to make it work in the engel receiver... but if back
> then didn't use to work....
>

> > I'm going to guess based on where I think you are located,
> > that you have something like the following -- please correct
> > me where I ass-u-me wrong, and add any additional info that
> > is missing from this...
> >
> > Dish+LNB pointed at 28E, large enough to receive BBC/ITV/etc
> > Dish+LNB pointed at 19E (or offset mounted on 28E dish)
> > DiSEqC switch(es) located near dishes -- or near your tuner
> > so you can connect directly from each LNB as a test?
> > Single cable run from switch to computer, or two cable runs
> > from two switches?
> >
> > LNB19E--
> >         \               long cable run
> >          2/1 DiSEqC----------------------------Computer
> >         /
> > LNB28E--
> >

> i've got 2 80cm satellite dishes, one for Astra 28.2E and the other one
> for Astra 19.2E.
> Then, from each dish i've got like 2-3 meters cable to where the
> computer is.
> Then, next to the computer "the two become one", hehe, through the
> diseqc switch.
>
>  From diseqc i've got a cable, like 30cm long to the computer
>
> The diseqc switch is 2.0, like this one:
>
> http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/DiSEqC/DS21-DISEQC-SWITCH.jpg
>
> > You also mention DVB-T/radio from this card; if you could
> > mention how that affects the above, if at all (it should
> > not, but I never know for sure)
> >

> I don't think it affects in any way. The card has 3 different chips, or
> so i think: one for radio, one for digital tv (terrestrial) and one for
> satellite tv. In windows you install 3 different drivers. Actually,
> windows see the card as 3 different cards, and you can "tune" the three
> chips at the same time. for example, you can view satellite while

The latter is not true, you can`t view/record DVB-S and DVB-T at once.
That would need a second saa7131 PCI bridge you don't have.

It is one tda8275a hybrid tuner, which in this case is only used for
radio and analog TV, a second tda8275a hybrid tuner, which is only used
for DVB-T on this card with tda10046 channel decoder and a single
tda826x tuner for DVB-S with tda10086 channel decoder and isl6421 ...

> In Linux this doesn't happen. Linux sees the card "as one", and you have
> to keep  doing
>
> modprobe saa7134 use_frontend=0... =1..=2 to get one chip or another to
> work.  Although it would be great to have all of them working at the
> same time.. it's not a problem for me, as i actually never used this
> feature in windows.
>
> > Also, if you have any spares (a pile of DiSEqC switches,
> > other DVB-S capable cards, etc), it would be handy for me
> > to know -- in the case of my 4/1 switches located more
> > than 50m from my tuners, it was partially a case of
> > swapping in other switches from my pile of them until
> > finding a working combination, or running an additional
> > several hundred metres of cable to permit me to switch
> > the four positions close to the tuners...
> >

> i don't think there's any other helpful information to provide.

We need to go through the code in question, investigate Ubuntu
downports, reread datasheets as far as available (!) and my first guess
is your switch worked once with diseqc enabled on the tda10086, at least
for low. On high with permanent tone from the isl6121 also enabled, I
doubt it ever came through.

Cheers,
Hermann