Re: dib0700 new i2c implementation

Mmmh... I don't see how having "random" copies around (whatever this means) of the 1.10 firmware can make the computer reboot. The driver attempts to load the firmware. If it can it's loaded, if not it fails, nothing more.

Anyway, I'll be somewhat busy this week to test this. But as soon as I find the time I'll try to i.e. compile a separate kernel that uses both this patch and the new firmware and then provide testing. At least this way I'll be sure I'll be able to revert back to my rock-stable configuration by just choosing the appropiate grub entry at boot.

Otherwise, trying to fix a machine that is constantly rebooting due to a driver can be a very nasty thing... ;)

Regards,
  Eduard

2008/8/27 Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@xxxxxxxxx>
Hello Eduard,

2008/8/27 Eduard Huguet <eduardhc@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Well, regarding the Nova-T 500 I must say that, using the current HG driver
> code and 1.10 firmware, it's pretty rock solid. I've had no USB disconnects
> nor hangs of any time since a long time ago (since lastest patches for this
> card were merged).
>
> That's the reason I'm very reluctant to use the new firmware, specially if
> the effect seems to be a constantly rebooting machine, as Nicolas Will
> described ;-). However, if the above patche solves the problems then I'll be
> very pleased to test it.

It seems that Nicholas's problems had to do with having random copies
of 1.10 in /lib/firmware.

This is about more than "does it fix my problem".  The patch I am
submitting could cause potential breakage with other devices, so I
need people who have a stable environment to test the change and make
sure it doesn't cause breakage.

Otherwise, it just gets pushed in, you do an "hg update" and all of a
sudden your environment is broken.

The patch is known to fix several problems required to get the xc5000
working with the dib0700, but I want to be sure people with a working
environment don't start seeing problems.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller
http://www.devinheitmueller.com