Re: Testers wanted for alternative version of Terratec Cinergy T2 driver

Hi all,

On Mon, 12 May 2008, Tomi Orava wrote:
> In my understanding this is a bug in the dvb-usb-framework that cannot
> be fixed in Cinergy T2 driver. I checked that if you DON'T define the
> menuconfig option:
>
> "Load and attach frontend and tuner driver modules as needed" ie.
> the CONFIG_MEDIA_ATTACH
>
> The framework will use a different version of the function called
> "dvb_frontend_detach" and thefore it will not call the symbol_put_addr
> on linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvb_frontend.c line 1220.
> With this option deselected the module reference count seems to stay
> in sane values.

In fact any dvb-driver driver has this problem when it is not using a
separate frontend-module, but using the module from "inside". (vp702x,
gp8psk, vp7045, dtt200u)

dvb_frontend is decrementing the use_count when releasing the driver.
dvb_attach is incrementing it, but you can only use dvb_attach on
EXPORT_SYMBOL-functions.

Trent Piepo was suggesting a solution, but no one ever had time to solve
this problem. In fast this is only a propblem for developers, not so much
for the average users as he is not unloading the module usually.

thanks for your great work,
Patrick.