Re: NXP 18211HDC1 tuner

Jarryd Beck wrote:
>>  One thing I can say -- the Linux tda18271 driver should be able to
>>  detect your tuner at 0xC0  (0x60)  as a tda18271c1 -- It's worth a
>>  try, and could certainly be possible that the driver *may* work as-is,
>>  although I suspect that some tweaking will be needed.
>>
>>  Regards,
>>
>>  Mike
>>

> I changed it's i2c as loaded by af9015 to 0xC0, then got this in
> dmesg:
>
> TDA18271HD/C1 detected @ 5-00c0
>
> Also when I plugged it in, it sat there for about 10 seconds before
> finishing loading (dmesg printed another 5 lines about the device
> after about 10 seconds), but still no tuning.

Can I see those five lines?  ;-)

While you're at it, you may as well include dmesg from the point that the bridge driver loads and on.

I don't know how the AF9015 works, but Antti does.  What demod is on this device? ...or is that part of the AF9015?

After googling some more, I found that the tda18211 supports DVB-T, ATSC and QAM ...  Seems to be a digital-only tuner, while the tda18271 supports both digital and analog.

The IF frequencies used for the tda18211 are the same as the default settings for the tda18271c1.

- QAM: IF output centered at 4 and 5 MHz (bandwidth = 6 and 8 MHz respectively)
- DVB-T: IF output centered at 3.3, 3.8 and 4.3 MHz (bandwidth = 6, 7 and 8MHz respectively)
- ATSC: IF output centered at 3.25 MHz (bandwidth = 6MHz)

...I am looking at the snoop log some more -- My earlier statement was wrong -- I *do* see the driver programming all 39 registers, and now I do see calibration transactions taking place.

I can see from this snoop that the value that belongs in the linux driver's "std_bits" parameter should be 0x19.  It looks like the windows driver starts off with 0x18, and after some wiggling, locks at 0x19.   Maybe it is first trying to tune to a 7 MHz DVB-T channel, then changes to 8 MHz.

You said that you tuned to "channel 7, sydney, australia" -- is that an 8 MHz channel?  What frequency is it on?

-Mike