Re: Hybrid tuner proposal (V4L/DVB)

Johannes,

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [big snip]
>
> C'mon guys, let's leave the past behind us and
> not start fighting again.

I am removing a CC to unnecessarily avoid a flame. That opinion has been
expressed quite a lot.

> I believe many people ("users") would like em28xx to be merged
> asap, so I'm trying to find a way how it could be done.

IMHO, code that which is bad should be fixed and then only be accepted
into the project. I don't see any reason for any person/project to be
given any special status and things should work just as normally.

It is completely wrong  to artificially create a huge importance/need
and doing things -- Incorrect way of doing things.

> It is unfortunate that em28xx depends on the hybrid tuner
> API design, but we have to live with it.

em28xx is just a normal USB bridge chip. xc3028 is a simple tuner that
has supports analog mode

>> On 4/10/07, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-video&m=117571761928085&w=2
>>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-video&m=117613833119350&w=2
>
> If that proposal is _proven to work_ ("dummy_hybrid_tuner.c" doesn't
> sound like it's been tested), _and_ has more supporters than
> Markus' code, then I would ask him to rebase his code
> on top of it. However, I don't think we should wait
> another month for your proposal to be ready.
>
> So currently I think if Markus code _works_, and
> _doesn't break_ any non-em28xx/xc3028 devices, then it
> should be merged.
> But of course that requires that people test his
> stuff with non-em28xx equipment, and report if it still works.
> (And ideally someone who read through the code would
> ACK it or let us know why it can't be ACKed.)
>
> You or someone else can rewrite the whole hybrid tuner
> stuff later once you have a proven better solution.
> I don't care and I guess Markus wouldn't mind, too.

I have sent another mail on another thread, please do read that post and
the relevant links and please do mention why you think it would work
this way.

Manu