Re: Re: Hybrid tuner proposal (V4L/DVB)

Em Ter, 2007-04-10 às 15:13 +0200, Johannes Stezenbach escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> [big snip]
>
> C'mon guys, let's leave the past behind us and
> not start fighting again.
>
> I believe many people ("users") would like em28xx to be merged
> asap, so I'm trying to find a way how it could be done.

Agreed.

> It is unfortunate that em28xx depends on the hybrid tuner
> API design, but we have to live with it.
>
> > On 4/10/07, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >http://marc.info/?l=linux-video&m=117571761928085&w=2
> > >http://marc.info/?l=linux-video&m=117613833119350&w=2
>
> If that proposal is _proven to work_ ("dummy_hybrid_tuner.c" doesn't
> sound like it's been tested), _and_ has more supporters than
> Markus' code, then I would ask him to rebase his code
> on top of it. However, I don't think we should wait
> another month for your proposal to be ready.
>
> So currently I think if Markus code _works_, and
> _doesn't break_ any non-em28xx/xc3028 devices, then it
> should be merged.
Agreed.

> But of course that requires that people test his
> stuff with non-em28xx equipment, and report if it still works.
> (And ideally someone who read through the code would
> ACK it or let us know why it can't be ACKed.)
It is important to test the changes with boards that have tda9887 plus
an analog tuner, tea5767 and tda8290/8275 tuners.
I'll be travelling tomorrow, so probably, I won't have time this week
for testing his code. I'll try to do the tests next week.

> You or someone else can rewrite the whole hybrid tuner
> stuff later once you have a proven better solution.
> I don't care and I guess Markus wouldn't mind, too.
As Markus mentioned, I gave him some suggestions on other directions, to
improve the API, but code optimizations can be done later, after merging
his work. The more important thing to do right now is to focus on
merging his code, to allow the driver updates and dvb support to go to
2.6.22.

Cheers,
Mauro