Re: ASUSTEK P7131 Dual TV dvb mode?

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 01:01:52AM +0200, you [hermann pitton] wrote:

> Hi Ville,
>
> thanks for reporting the radio functionality!

No problem. I was just a bit thick-sculled wrt. how it was _supposed_ to
work in the first place. A newbie like me might suppose just firing up
gnomeradio would give some sound, but reading some documention first is
never a bad idea.

> The radio misses signal strength and stereo detection, so autotuning
> doesn't work yet, but sound should be perfect with the above.

Actually, I think fmscan from fmtools gave me valid channels - if that's
what you mean.

> The bundled rabbit ears antenna is very poor in a room with known bad
> reception conditions here, even for strong stations I had to adjust it
> per station, but with the DVB-T roof antenna and radio from cable-tv it
> has totally clear sound.

I'm using antenna cable. But I do have low signal, since I have a few
splitters.

The crackling sound just _sounded_ like something else than poor signal (it
was more like some electric interfence in computer case.) But now that I
paid more attention to it, the artifact does not appear on all channels, so
I guess it must be poor signal after all. That would make sense.

The arecord|play going out of sync on the other hand was definetely
something else. Restarting the arecord| playh pipeline without touching
gnomeradio fixed it. Probably somekind of alsa problem.

> The bundled DVB-T antenna is unusable for radio, it produces distortions
> and whistling noise.

Yeah, I couldn't get anything with it.

> You could also enable debug=1 for saa7134-alsa, maybe your system
> produces buffer over/underuns. Not the case for me.

It might also be buffer underruns. I'll try debug=1.

> To connect a analog audio cable is always fine too. The two pins in the
> middle of the connector are ground.

But I guess it works without, since I didn't connect it yet :).

> Yeah, the remote is still unconfirmed for that one and Marc just posted
> a new and further cleaned up version of his patch. Maybe we could need
> some dummy device for testing unknown remotes just for keydown/up and
> further gpio events in the beginning.

To tell you the truth I also have Hauppauge WinTV Nova, and I still haven't
managed to configure its remote either. I have an *old* serial ir remote
receiver that works fine - but the remote is broken :). But I'll try to find
the time to test the saa7134 remote at some point,

> To avoid using radio first in order to get the FM/RF input active for
> DVB-T, you could either use the cable-tv antenna input for it or apply
> the patch I previously linked to.

Oh, does the the dvb  work with either input? I didn't realize that. I have
both connected to same splitted antenna cable (radio and analog tv both
work), but dvb only seems to work after using fm radio.

I'll try the patch.

Thanks!

-- v --

v@xxxxxx