Mixing kernel and v4l-dvb sources

Hi,

Can someone please give a brief overview (or a pointer in the direction)
of what's involved in integrating v4l-dvb mercurial source code with
kernel sources?

I have two different setups that I need to get the latest code working
on in order to use Andrew's new tda10086 driver.

On an up-to-date Debian Etch box I went through the hg pull/make/make
install/reboot process (documented in the Wiki), but when I try to load
the budget module I get:

budget: disagrees about version of symbol saa7146_unregister_extension
budget: Unknown symbol saa7146_unregister_extension
budget: disagrees about version of symbol s5h1420_attach
budget: Unknown symbol s5h1420_attach

repeated for lots of different symbols.  Is there something else I have
to configure before the make?

My other test rig uses stock kernel sources which I compile on my
laptop.  I've previously used 2.6.15 and 2.6.16 for cards with existing
support, but now I need to merge in the latest DVB sources.

I am on the right track doing a 'make release
DIR=~/path/to/kernel/source/' and 'make kernel-links' from within my
v4l-dvb directory?  I'm assuming I can then do my 'make menuconfig' as
normal from within the kernel source tree?

Unfortunately my 'make kernel-links' is failing during a patch:

patching file linux/include/linux/videodev.h
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
linux/include/linux/videodev.h.rej

The videodev.h I have (from a pristine 'hg clone') seems to be obsolete
(according to the comments) and I don't see where the patch is supposed
to fit.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
--