Re: Mixing kernel and v4l-dvb sources

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 19:35, Chris Malarky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please give a brief overview (or a pointer in the direction)
> of what's involved in integrating v4l-dvb mercurial source code with
> kernel sources?
>
> I have two different setups that I need to get the latest code working
> on in order to use Andrew's new tda10086 driver.
>
> On an up-to-date Debian Etch box I went through the hg pull/make/make
> install/reboot process (documented in the Wiki), but when I try to load
> the budget module I get:
>
> budget: disagrees about version of symbol saa7146_unregister_extension
> budget: Unknown symbol saa7146_unregister_extension
> budget: disagrees about version of symbol s5h1420_attach
> budget: Unknown symbol s5h1420_attach
>
> repeated for lots of different symbols.  Is there something else I have
> to configure before the make?
>
> My other test rig uses stock kernel sources which I compile on my
> laptop.  I've previously used 2.6.15 and 2.6.16 for cards with existing
> support, but now I need to merge in the latest DVB sources.
>
> I am on the right track doing a 'make release
> DIR=~/path/to/kernel/source/' and 'make kernel-links' from within my
> v4l-dvb directory?  I'm assuming I can then do my 'make menuconfig' as
> normal from within the kernel source tree?
>
> Unfortunately my 'make kernel-links' is failing during a patch:
>
> patching file linux/include/linux/videodev.h
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> linux/include/linux/videodev.h.rej
>
> The videodev.h I have (from a pristine 'hg clone') seems to be obsolete
> (according to the comments) and I don't see where the patch is supposed
> to fit.

What I usually do  is:

1) Install the kernel sources
2) hg update in v4l-dvb
3) in v4l-dvb, do make kernel-links KDIR=/path/to/kernel

I too get the patch faillure at this stage, but I've just been ignoring it :)

This'll hook the DVB drivers into the kernel, replacing the DVB stuff there
already.. all you need to do now is cd to the kernel directory, and do a
normal kernel configure/compilation. The HG drivers will have been patched
into the kernel so you should see 'em pop up in there.