Re: VDR build failure with current HG drivers

Alan Cox wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:33:38AM +0200, hermann pitton wrote:
v4l1 compat module when user programs are not allowed to use it?  Is the
goal to allow old V4L1_binaries to be used, but not allow old V4L1 sources
to compile?  That's an odd choice, to provide more compatibility for
binaries and sources.

No application should be including kernel headers. Period.

IIRC, a time-slot to drop v4l1-compat is not yet announced?

We don't dump existing interfaces provided to general applications. v4l1-compat
can be seen as a long term historical wart I'm afraid.

2.6 kernel is a stable kernel series and existing applications should work with the minimum hassle even during an API update. If the newer API offers more features and if the application(s) would like to use the newer features, well then that is a different story altogether.

Manu