Re: idea on how to break the static dependencies on demodulator modules

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> On Saturday 08 July 2006 01:16, Trent Piepho wrote:
> > dvb_attach ON, fecustomize ON, modules OFF:
> > symbol_get() _does_ find the static inline stub functions, which return
> > NULL since that frontend isn't supported.  Instead of the "couldn't find FE
> > attach function" error, you get the "FE attach function failed" error, and
> > possibly the "trying to use FE that you disabled" warning from the attach
> > stub.
>
> OK you caught me; I was too tired to test that case properly last night :)
>
> I wonder.. is that "unable to get function XXX" message actually useful? If
> someone has intentionally disabled the frontends they don't need, they don't
> want to see a load of those for the modules they intentionally disabled.
> (some cards have 3 or 4 possible frontends, and the only way to tell which is
> to try each in turn).

There are also a lot of cards that are "one subsystem id, one front-end", and
the attach function not being there when called is an error.  I don't think
there's a good way to tell if a missing attach function is an error or
intentional.

If the module is missing because they failed to install it in the right place
(happens all the time) or it failed to load for some reason (undefined
symbols, wrong version), it would be nice to know.

It would only be printed on module loading, right?  I can see it being very
helpfull when trying to figure out why something isn't working.  "Your card
doesn't work because you don't have the front-end driver installed."