Re: idea on how to break the static dependencies on demodulator modules

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > Will dvb_attach() work on a static inline non-EXPORT_SYMBOLed function?
>
> Heh, just realised this actually works quite well :)
>
> It doesn't matter - we want the symbol lookup to fail anyway since the driver
> is not compiled in. All the static inline function is doing is providing the
> correct method signature for the XXX_attach() function.
>
> dvb_attach ON, fecustomise ON:
> Uses symbol_get - some symbols are missing since they're defined as static
> inline. symbol_get simply fails to find the symbol.

dvb_attach ON, fecustomize ON, modules OFF:
symbol_get() _does_ find the static inline stub functions, which return NULL
since that frontend isn't supported.  Instead of the "couldn't find FE attach
function" error, you get the "FE attach function failed" error, and possibly
the "trying to use FE that you disabled" warning from the attach stub.