[linux-dvb] patch collection for Kernel 2.6.16-rc1

Hi Johannes,

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> [..] snipped a lot [..]
> If you look at my presence here on this list for the last few months
> it is quite obvious that it is time that someone else takes over,
> and puts on the maintainer hat officially. I suck.

I kept myself back so far, because I didn't see anything in this
thread were my opinion would have counted. But now this changed:

I pay a lot of respect to any open-source-hobby-maintainer out there,
because in the meantime I got an idea what it takes to do that (most of
the time unthankful) work.

And especially to Johannes: You do _not_ suck. People, ranting around
and spending time on writing huge emails without _any_ sense inside, suck
(instead of spending this time to write useful software/docs)...

In this Email I want especially say "thank you!" to Johannes. Without him
my life would have gone different and I would not be in that situation I
am today:

In very short: When I started to work on OpenSource drivers for Linux (1
and a half year ago) I asked for help on this list. And people discouraged
me by saying "read docs" (which don't exist), "maybe you should drop the
idea of working on that" (if you want to, I can pick this message out of
the archives..). Not so Johannes, he was always very helpful, giving
hints, motivated me (wanted or not) by spending time on writing answers -
always polite and nice.

Now I'm having a great job, at a great company, working on great subjects,
because of that.

Working on OpenSource driver is and has always been a real good experience
- it broadens your horizons.

If I would have given up my idea 1,5 years ago (as people suggested!) I
would probably doing something else...

To cut things short:

Johannes, thank you very, very much for all your help and motivation to me
and your work on linuxtv so far. I strongly hope you are not going to
listen to only _one_ guy, instead you should think about how many people
you helped in the past years and who now luckily work with linuxtv-apps
and -drivers, just because of you.

Sincerely yours,
Patrick