[linux-dvb] patch collection for Kernel 2.6.16-rc1

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 05:39:36PM +0100, Uwe Bugla wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> it seems to me that a couple of wrong information / misunderstandings must
> be cleared right here:
>
> 1.@Johannes Stezenbach:
> "Actually I do the work that I get paid for. Unfortunately, linuxtv.org /
> linux-dvb stuff is not part of it.
>  Johannes"
>
> Very interesting, if not astonishing in deed!
> The MAINTAINERS file of the latest kernel says under "DVB SUBSYSTEM AND
> DRIVERS" that the status is: SUPPORTED.
> And "SUPPORTED" means: Someone is actually paid to look after this.
>
> Now who contains the right information I can rely on? You, Johannes, or the
> maintainers file? Who is that someone? God in the sky, the unknown soldier,
> the omniscient author, Lucifer in hell, now who is responsible and being
> paid for that service? Or have I just found another dead body of wrong
> information in the kernel tree?

You can rely on Johannes, he should know best what he's getting money
for.

If in doubt, MAINTAINERS is wrong.

Just a few weeks ago, I removed an entry from MAINTAINERS listing
someone as the maintainer of a driver who died in 2003...

Quite frankly, after several years of kernel development and sending
several patches against MAINTAINERS, this it the first time I notice
this Maintained <-> Supported. Looking through this file, I see several
other entries where this might be wrong in the one direction or the
other direction.

But it doesn't matter - whether someone is paid for maintaining a part
of the kernel doesn't give anyone except for the person/company actually
paying the maintainer any additional rights.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed