[linux-dvb] tda1004x update

Michael Krufky wrote:
> Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
>
>> Michael Krufky wrote:

>>> What is the status of the testings with this patch?  Your
>>> announcement mentions some possible incompatabilities...
>>>
>>> Mauro has already send your v4l patches to -mm... Do they depend on
>>> this one?
>>

>> I haven't heard anything but few reports that it gave the slight
>> performance
>> improvement i expected.
>> I tested with 4 different cards: Lifeview, Philips Tiger and Europa
>> and the
>> Medion. The Philips cards are at least compatible with the Compro and
>> the ASUS.
>> I can get hands on one other important card in short term.
>> So there is quite some test coverage.
>> The GPIO thing can cause trouble with modern hybrid cards like the
>> ASUS which
>> need proper handling of the GPIOs.
>>
>> Hermann, can you roll back the tda1004x driver to see whether the old
>> version
>> works with your card?
>>
>> This went a bit fast. I didn't expect that Mauro would update the patches
>> again...
>>
>> Hartmut
>

> Hartmut-
>
> Hmmm.... I do agree that Mauro might have sent the v4l patches too
> quickly to -mm... However, -mm itself is somewhat of a testing area.
>
> If I understand it correctly, the patches in v4l are only adding dvb
> support, and will not break anything unrelated.  Is this correct?
>
> If that is correct, then it is okay for Mauro to have sent them.  Now, I
> need to know from you whether the corresponding dvb patch to tda1004x
> should also be sent to -mm?  IIRC, the patch that Mauro sent to -mm
> might depend on this dvb patch.  If so, let me know, and I'll send it to
> akpm.
>
> Unless, of course, you think it has the potential to break other
> boards.  In which case, let Mauro know and he can have akpm drop it from
> -mm until it can get some more testing in cvs.
>
> -Mike

Hi, Mike

Just to clarify this: i don't blame Mauro, i was just surprised about
the fast 2nd update...

There are 3 recent patches from me:
The first one fixes the SEMAC-L problem with the tda8290. I am sure this
one is correct.

The other 2 patches plus the tda1004x update are dvb-t only. They will
not break compatibility with known cards and compile with the old and
the new version of the tda1004x driver.

Regarding the tda1004x update: Please let me check whether the recently
added boards work with the old version of the tda1004x (need to solve a
very specific issue). If this is the case, i will recommend not to
update this module right now but leave more time for compatibility
checks. I will let you know the next days.

I hope this clarifies things.

Best regards
    Hartmut