[linux-dvb] DVB-T card for PCI-X + Digital-RADIO-Linux-Questions

Jon Burgess wrote:

> Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
>
>> What do you mean with "these kinds of cards",.. what other kinds of
>> cards are there?
>
> Budget vs full-featured. The budget card has a tuner which provides
> the MPEG transports stream for software to decode and display. A full
> featured card has the same hardware as a budget card but also includes
> an embedded CPU and firmware on the card to decode the MPEG and send
> it to a TV-out connector on the card.

Ah,.. ok,. so the difference is simply the MPEG decoder (which I could
get with an additional card,.. if I should ever need it). An so the only
missing thing is the analog TV-out signal, correct? If so, a budget card
would be enough for me =)

>> And does this now mean,.. that those feature are only
>> boradcaster/software dependant?
>
> The MPEG transport stream is very flexible any allows an almost
> infinite combination of multiple audio, video and other data streams.
> - stereo audio
> - 5.1 audio
> - Standard definition video
> - HDTV
> - Other digital data e.g. electronic program guide.
> ... plus many more things.
>
> All the above depend on the broadcaster sending the appropriate
> transmission and you having the appropriate software capable of
> decoding the stream.

Great =) ... .oO(budget DVB-T card,... I'm waiting for you) ;-)

>> Uhm,.. if PCI/PCI-X bus is enough for the amount of data,.. I'd
>> prefer this in favour of PCIe (because I could save the PCIe for a
>> 2nd videocard).
>
> The data rate for a full transport stream from a budget card is in the
> order of ~30 Mbit/s. For a rough theorectical comparison USB2 manages
> 480Mbit/s, PCI ~1000Mbit/s (=132MByte/s). PCI-X and PCIe go even
> faster. As you can see, a budget card going flat out doesn't begin to
> stretch them.

So event with a Dual (!) DVB-T card,... PCI / PCI-X should be really
fast enought, ok?

> You could attach multiple devices to a single USB2 port using a hub
> without wasting a single PCI clot.

Yes, but there aren't any Dual DVB-T cards for usb, are there?

>> What other non-DVB-T-features could such a card have?
>
> Some cards also include a composite / S-video analog input to allow
> recording from something like an analog camcorder. These streams tend
> to be a much higher data rate because they are uncompressed.

Hmm I think I wouldn't need that,.. because if I'm ever going to buy a
video camera, I'd buy a digital one =)

Thx Jon,... you helped me very much :) I'm going to ask Hauppauge and
Terratec in the following days for some more data about their upcoming
dual DVB-T cards. Then I'll post these information here and ask who
finds which card the best.
The good thing is that I don't have too look after all those features
(surround sound, etc) because you nice guys here explained me that this
is only software/broadcaster dependant :-)
So I'll only have to pray, that Linux drivers vor my card will be
available soon,.. and perhaps,.. that the Hauppauge card is PCI-X 3,3V
compatible =)

Best wishes,
Chris.