Re: Feedback on my development setup

Sorry for the double post to some of you.  Mobile Gmail silently
converted to HTML and caused some problems.  Content is otherwise
identical.

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 11:14 AM Jonathan Corbet <corbet@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Josh Marshall <joshua.r.marshall.1991@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hello Carlos,
> >
> > This is a generational shift.  For my peers, we understand the benefit
> > of keeping everything in a thread.  But at some point it becomes so
> > verbose and cumbersome as to defeat the purpose.  The size of the text
> > I'm working with and the number of text changes it has seen meets that
> > level.  And so I've kept it in git and referenced that.
>
> Nonetheless, you are trying to engage with the kernel community, and
> will have far better results if you follow that community's norms.
> Those include sending patches by email and not top posting.
>
> They also include listening to the advice you are being given.  Like
> others, I appreciate your efforts to improve our documentation; it
> certainly needs it!  But please think about improving the *existing*
> documentation, rather than creating yet another file, disconnected from
> the rest.  We already have far too much of that.

I cannot abide by this.  Not out of obstinance.  This document is not
written for a veteran.  It probably isn't even written for anyone on
this list.  It is meant to be much more approachable than that.
Comparing to the closest existing document at
https://docs.kernel.org/dev-tools/gdb-kernel-debugging.html , the
difference in intended audience and skill level is stark.  Let alone
being able to find that document since it is so buried relative to the
intent of someone trying to get started.  I have heard several times "
you should rather improve existing docs" but without really breaking
into all the implications that 'just' doesn't help.  Given the back
and forth required to express the finesse here, I am willing to have a
phone or video call to get this right.