Re: Feedback on my development setup

Hello Josh,

On 4/25/2024 12:37 AM, Josh Marshall wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Last draft before I send in a patch.  Big change is an added preamble
> to set tone and intent.  Also some stuff up top setting forth the
> structure of the document.  Carlos, I tried figuring out what you
> meant by troubles with KVM, but all that boiled down to was scant
> documentation on use cases people rarely venture into.  I think that
> is a different document from what I am trying to write, although I
> might now be qualified to write it.  Pranjal, sorry man, more words :)

Exactly. Since you found the KVM documentation to be lacking in detail,
that's an excellent opportunity to expand upon it. That's what I was
suggesting: improving the documentation for these niche cases adds value
and could be included in your potential patch.

Before I talk about specifics of the document, have you thought about where
this text belongs in the broader kernel documentation? It's an important
part of your potential patch. I suggested incorporating it into 'A Guide to
the Kernel Development Process.' Have you had a chance to consider that?

> https://gitlab.com/anadon/getting-started-on-kernel-dev-guide-workspace/-/blob/main/Linux%20basic%20dev%20setup.rst?ref_type=heads

It's difficult for us to discuss the details of your draft like this. It
would be more better if you paste the text directly into the email, and I
can provide inline responses. I'll paste the parts I need.

"
[...]
This document has been viewed through many perspectives from many reviewers,
each wanting a conflicting adaptation. [...]
"

Really? According to your GitLab history, the commit "Draft 1 complete and
ready for the first round of peer reviews!" was 2 days ago. What am I
missing?

"
[...]
`NOTE: On some distributions, kernels (/boot/vmlinuz\*) lack global read
permissions. Administrator permissions are required to make the kernel chosen by
``guestmount`` to be readable. There is debate about the effectiveness of this
security decision. On some distributions like  Ubuntu, this will cause a
problem. In the context of changing a one-off system, having this file globally
read-only is considered safe.`
[...]
"

Please specify the distro you used to prepare this doc.

"
[...]
.. code:: bash

   mkdir -p "$HOME/Documents/linux-workspace/kernel-dev"
   cd "$HOME/Documents/linux-workspace/kernel-dev"
   export LINUX_REPO_PATH="$(pwd)/linux"
[...]
"

Please explain to the reader what these commands are doing and continue to
do so for subsequent commands, as you've already done in some cases.

"
[...]
.. code:: bash

   make -j
[...]
"

s/-j/-j (num cores)

"
[...]
Citations
---------

-  https://github.com/archlinux/arch-boxes
[...]
"

Citations should be numbered and cited in the text where appropriate.

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 1:43 PM Josh Marshall
> <joshua.r.marshall.1991@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Carlos,
>>
>> My intention right now is still to gather feedback on the draft!
>> Everything, including if it should be sliced and diced into other
>> places, is up for consideration.  The final intent is a patch into the
>> central doc tree and not remote documentation.  I'll wait longer to
>> gather more input before replying to particular points.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 12:40 PM Bilbao, Carlos <carlos.bilbao@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It's great that you're interested in improving the documentation. I've CCed
>>> linux-doc list for visibility.
>>>
>>> However, please note that we already have existing documentation, and it
>>> might be better to extend what's already there rather than creating
>>> something entirely new. You can refer to:
>>>
>>> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/development-process.html
>>>
>>> If you still feel the need to start a new document and host it remotely, I
>>> suggest updating:
>>>
>>> https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v6.1/process/kernel-docs.html
>>>
>>> If I may offer a suggestion, focusing on documenting the challenges you've
>>> encountered with KVM, etc., could be more valuable that trying to cover
>>> everything.

>>> Thanks,
>>> Carlos

Thanks,