Re: Feedback on my development setup

On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 01:08:36PM -0400, Josh Marshall wrote:

> I cannot abide by this.  Not out of obstinance.  This document is not
> written for a veteran.  It probably isn't even written for anyone on
> this list.  It is meant to be much more approachable than that.
> Comparing to the closest existing document at
> https://docs.kernel.org/dev-tools/gdb-kernel-debugging.html , the
> difference in intended audience and skill level is stark.  Let alone
> being able to find that document since it is so buried relative to the
> intent of someone trying to get started.  I have heard several times "
> you should rather improve existing docs" but without really breaking
> into all the implications that 'just' doesn't help.  Given the back
> and forth required to express the finesse here, I am willing to have a
> phone or video call to get this right.

Just as there are dozens of git tutorials which are floating around
the web which are separate from the official git documentation, if
what you want is to have an unofficial document designed for a
specific audience which is not the "vetran", that's totally fine.

Perhaps you can work with the kernel newbies folks, and look at
joining forces with their documentation, e.g.:

	https://kernelnewbies.org/FirstKernelPatch

The benefit of joining forces with them might be that more people will
see your document.  A random gitlab page is not going to be as
discoverable.

So I think there may be some crosstalk because your goals might not be
what others have been assuming your goals to be.  If you want to have
your own unofficial kernel tutorial, have at it!  You don't need to
get permission from anyone else, and you don't need to engage with the
community on this mailing list or anywhere else.

The flip side is if you want to get input from this community, you may
find that you are more likely to get that help if you are discussing
things on the mailing list, as opposed to expecting us to go find your
gitlab site and participating there.  We can't force you to use
mailing list threads; but at the same time, your expecting to us to
use gitlab might not be very fruitful.

Best regards,

						- Ted