Re: Feedback on my development setup

Hello Josh,

On 4/25/24 11:15, Josh Marshall wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 25, 2024, 11:14 AM Jonathan Corbet <corbet@xxxxxxx
> <mailto:corbet@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Josh Marshall <joshua.r.marshall.1991@xxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:joshua.r.marshall.1991@xxxxxxxxx>> writes:
>
>     > Hello Carlos,
>     >
>     > This is a generational shift.  For my peers, we understand the benefit
>     > of keeping everything in a thread.  But at some point it becomes so
>     > verbose and cumbersome as to defeat the purpose.  The size of the text
>     > I'm working with and the number of text changes it has seen meets that
>     > level.  And so I've kept it in git and referenced that.
>
>     Nonetheless, you are trying to engage with the kernel community, and
>     will have far better results if you follow that community's norms.
>     Those include sending patches by email and not top posting.
>

>     They also include listening to the advice you are being given.  Like
>     others, I appreciate your efforts to improve our documentation; it
>     certainly needs it!  But please think about improving the *existing*
>     documentation, rather than creating yet another file, disconnected from
>     the rest.  We already have far too much of that.
>

> I cannot abide by this.  Not out of obstinance.  This document is not
> written for a veteran.  It probably isn't even written for anyone on this
> list.  It is meant to be much more approachable than that.  Comparing to
> the closest existing document at
> https://docs.kernel.org/dev-tools/gdb-kernel-debugging.html
> <https://docs.kernel.org/dev-tools/gdb-kernel-debugging.html> , the
> difference in intended audience and skill level is stark.  Let alone being
> able to find that document since it is so buried relative to the intent of
> someone trying to get started.  I have heard several times " you should
> rather improve existing docs" but without really breaking into all the

Jon is explaining how contributing works in the kernel community. I think
you would benefit from reading the documentation on this subject, for
example:

"Unsurprisingly, the kernel development community has evolved a set of
  conventions and procedures which are used in the posting of patches;
  following them will make life much easier for everybody involved"
  - Posting patches, Development Process

or:

"Top-posting is strongly discouraged in Linux kernel development
 discussions. Interleaved (or “inline”) replies make conversations much
 easier to follow." - Submitting Patches

It's simple: You are free to refuse to abide by such basic rules, but you
won't be able to get patches accepted in this community.

With that established, I fail to see the connection between the intended
audience of your document and whether you should make the effort to
integrate it within the existing documentation or not.

> implications that 'just' doesn't help.  Given the back and forth required
> to express the finesse here, I am willing to have a phone or video call to
> get this right.

People on the mailing lists typically prefer to resolve issues through
email.

>     Thanks,
>
>     jon

Thanks,