Re: CIFS VFS errors

I was (finally) able to reproduce the failure on Windows Service Pack
3 here (was not able
to on Service Pack 1, but I also had to change the block size).

It looks like it wasn't failing with ~20-30 simultaneous requests -
but I see failures
(actually I just see the reconnects in /proc/fs/cifs/Stats) at 39 simultaneous
writes in flight to Windows XP service pack 3 (server).

To get enough write requests in flight (39? or at least more than 30)
at one time
to get it to fail I had to set write size to 4096 (wsize=4096 on
mount) and relatively
large application write size (6MB rather than 1MB) in tests.  For example:

 sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/bigfile bs=6MB count=250

I think the patch I suggested earlier will fix it - but need to do some testing.

I haven't seen stability problems with it but would like to test it more.

--
Thanks,

Steve