Re: [RME HDSP 9632] Firmware downgrade - WAS: No sound

Paul Davis wrote:
On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 15:15 +0100, Dragan Noveski wrote:

i am running a multiface very well here and don't know which firmware is flashed in.

lspci will show the rev number, which is the same as the firmware
version.

but there is 1: firmware which is flashed into the card
2: the firmware drivers from alsa, on my system still the old demudi package, sth. like 1.09..

you're confused, but i don't blame you :) the ALSA driver doesn't
actually load firmware into the IO box, it loads a configuration file
into the IO box. This contents of the config data depend on the actual
firmware present on the PCI interface. nothing on linux updates the
actual firmware.

so if i update the firmware drivers to 1.0.13 i should not expect breakage?

if you are talking about upgrading ALSA to 1.0.13, then you should be
just fine.

--p

hi paul - very much thanks for clarifying the things for me!

what i actually plan to do is to remove all the debian packaged stuff from my box and to install alsa from source - so the alsa stuff will become independent from the dpkg!

already have downloaded all the 1.0.13 alsa stuff and (of course) i am only afraid to break the system and don't get sound out of the box anymore.

i looked into alsadrivers and since i want to have my multiface, an terratec usb device and my onboard sound running, i think that:

./configure --with-isapnp=no --with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes --with-pcm-oss-plugins=yes --with-cards=virmidi,seq-dummy,hdsp,intel8x0,usb-audio --with-card-options=all

should be fine for me, cause it is matching the stuff i have switched on in my kernel configuration. what do you think about??

as i found out, once the drivers are compiled, building the libs/tools/utils and replacing the demudi-firmware-loaders-v1.0.9 with the alsa-firmware-loaders-v1.0.13 should be more trivial.

any thoughts about this??

cheers,
doc