Analog vs digital was KVR cafe contest at risk

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023, Will Godfrey wrote:

All you need is a full desk size flat screen (at least 8k) with high resolution
multi-touch capability and continuous tactile feedback.

I think part of the formula is having something to grasp and turn. Even assuming one of your 8k screens turned 90 degrees was only taking care of 8 channels or so, I don't know what kind of tactile feedback would simulate that. I would imagine the 8k monitor might be much cheaper than just one analog channel though.... just the physical controls alone would make the screen seem cheap.

I am having to learn to use a glass mixer :P I am not impressed. It is slow, not intuitive at all, lends itself to mistakes, even "swiping" to change screens results in selecting a changing some random control rather than paging.... and there is a lot of paging. A digital mixer with a "super" channel is a bit better but not the same as an analog mixer for sure. I am not talking large mixers either, think club size for a small band.

The one place glass screens are handy is performer monitor self control with a phone... still not easy, but it offloads some work.

Yeah, I know the above answer was probably meant in jest. I chuckled first.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net