Re: KVR cafe contest at risk

On Sun, Jul 23, 2023 at 10:20:37PM +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:

> This fun contest has run since (at least) the early 2000s
> and it'd be a crying shame if it ends.

1. Things come and go.

The Bayreuth Festival <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayreuth_Festival>
is starting today. It has been running since 1876, so it has some
tradition. Until a few years ago it was nearly impossible to get
tickets, with a waiting list of up to ten years. This year they
didn't even manage to sell all available seats - you can go there
ten minutes before a performance and get a ticket.

2. If participation is declining, one should ask why.

The 'rules' state:

> Your entry(s) must be created with audio plugins or software studio.

That may have made sense 20 years ago. Today audio software is a
commodity, a commerce driven by inflated marketing and lots of hype
rather than by a desire for innovation and quality. At least 95
percent of all plugins are just hot air sold as a magic solution
to gross incompetence and a lack of musical creativity. Which is
quite evident if you see a session that has five or more plugins
on each track. I don't know any form of music that actually
requires this, and almost of the music I love was created using
much simpler means.

Maybe we need a 'back to basics' competition.

Ciao,

--
FA