Re: KVR cafe contest at risk

On Tue, Jul 25, 2023 at 03:29:53AM -1000, robertlazarski wrote:

> I wonder if that changes as the proprietary audio world goes to a monthly
> subscription model

XXX 'as a service' or 'in the cloud' is what is happening to the
software world in general. I don't think it will last.

> and analog hardware becomes cheaper

High quality analog hardware (that still works as specified
five years after you bought it and can be maintained) is not
becoming cheaper.

I spent about a quarter of my professional life recording and
mixing using analog tape recorders (Ampex, Studer, Telefunken,
...) and mixers (Neve, Solid State Logic, Harrison,...). These
are "collector's items" now. There is nothing software based that
comes close to using those, in particular for anything 'live'.
Much of that has to do with ergonomy. On these analog consoles
I could reach for any control I wanted without having to look
consciously or think - everything was in the right place.
Even without automation they were much easier to use than any
DAW I know of. Compare that to having to negociate multiple
levels of menus or having a single EQ or compressor occupying
half of your display.

Ciao,

--
FA