Re: KVR cafe contest at risk

Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> Linux audio is on safe ground I believe even still because it is about
>> something else - a community.
>
> The community that surrounds proprietary DAWs such as Reaper or Bitwig
> or Live is every bit as strong and wide and deep (if not more so) than
> anything in the Linux/FLOSS world. Community is not what
> differentiates our efforts or our results.

The one thing that FOSS (whether commercial or not) has is that you
don't get into the situation where some investor brings money into the
shop and then decides to shut down development some time later.  Like
what happened to Sibelius.

Admittedly, shutting down development is still a large hit, and there
were numerous "let's shut down development and make it Open Source"
projects that did not make it.  You need project structures as well as a
pool of capable developers that can be guilted into helping users and
development on, and that kind of commitment requires some history and
does not come about with the snap of a finger.

StarOffice made the transition (not sure about the exact current
relation between OpenOffice and LibreOffice though), Blender managed it
I think.  I am not quite sure about the backstory for Melt/Shotcut.

For those that managed the transition without dying off, I think it is
more or less fair to say that the change ended with a large growth in
size and dedication of the developer and user community.

Of course measuring success by only looking at successful cases is
certainly making for a rather biased view.

TLDR: it's complicated.

--
David Kastrup