Re: [RFC] better visibility into kworkers

On 05/17/2018 12:09 AM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 7:59 PM Linus Torvalds <
> torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Tha fact is, "comm[]" is not that, and simply never will be. It is just
> the
>> basename of the executable, and even then it's truncated. Maybe it's
>> truncated to 16 bytes, maybe it might some day be truncated to a slightly
>> larger number, but it will never be what /proc/<pid>/cmdline people want.
>
> I just checked.  My Real Work (tm) code has been using PR_SET_NAME to set a
> short description of which microservice [1] lived in which process.  32 or
> 64 bytes would be nicer, since 16 bytes has a tendency to truncate the name.

I agree. I think a slightly wider comm[] would be nicer. I think 64-bytes would
certainly allow a process to encode a useful amount of state. I figure we might
reliably detect truncation in userspace, and then return ERANGE via
pthread_setname_np, or via a new API. It could work.

I can do the glibc parts, and cleanup the linux man pages on this topic.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.