Re: [RFC] better visibility into kworkers

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 7:59 PM Linus Torvalds <
torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tha fact is, "comm[]" is not that, and simply never will be. It is just
the
> basename of the executable, and even then it's truncated. Maybe it's
> truncated to 16 bytes, maybe it might some day be truncated to a slightly
> larger number, but it will never be what /proc/<pid>/cmdline people want.

I just checked.  My Real Work (tm) code has been using PR_SET_NAME to set a
short description of which microservice [1] lived in which process.  32 or
64 bytes would be nicer, since 16 bytes has a tendency to truncate the name.

> In theory, we could instead allow people to set the values of
> mm->{arg,env}_{start,end}, which is where /proc/<pid>/cmdline actually
> finds the argument array.

> HOWEVER, there are serious issues with that too, and right now we only
> allow it for checkpointing and PR_SET_MM_MAP prctl, which does a lot more
> than that.

Out of curiosity, what are the issues?

[1] I'm not entirely sure anyone called them microservices back then.