Re: [RFC] better visibility into kworkers

On 05/16/2018 05:48 PM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 2:00 PM Linus Torvalds <
> torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:45 PM Carlos O'Donell <carlos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Do we care at all that userspace has been wanting a safe interface for
>>> setproctitle() for a long time? Particularly one without a 16-byte
> limit.
>>> Might we solve two problems at once?
>
>> Note that we'll inevitably always have *some* limit, so I doubt we'll ever
>> get over that.
>
>> And we actually do have a way to fill comm. Writing to /proc/<pid>/comm
>> already does exactly that. It obviously will truncate to whatever the
>> current limit is, but you can write anything you want.
>
> Or you can use prctl(PR_SET_NAME, ...).

We are discussing increasing the size of comm[]. Should we discuss it in the
broader context of what kworkers need, *and* what userspaces server processes
might also use?

Today applications shuffle data around in arg/env pages to alter argv[0],
but this is unreliable at best if your pages are already filled with
arguments and environment variables.

How big is too big for a new extended size comm[]?

If people think this is the wrong venue to raise the point, I'm happy to drop
it, but I figured I should say something given that userspace wants something
similar.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.