Re: [RFC] better visibility into kworkers

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 01:13:03PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So we can add the extended kworker information to the /proc files, but "ps"
> won't show them very well.
>
> Adding Craig Small to the cc. A trivial one-liner to procps-ng fixes
> things: changing the size of "cmd[]" in struct proc_t in proc/readproc.h
> from 16 to 32 makes it just work:
It seems most of the code just looks at the size of cmd and goes from
there, so that is pretty simple change.

Are you changing it to 32? I thought I saw the number 64 in one of the
other emails. For user-facing programs like ps and top I think there is
some sensible limit just for the sake of the human looking at it.

> Craig? Is there some "proper channel" I should go through to ask for a
> bigger possible command line?
We all live on https://gitlab.com/procps-ng/procps/ so an issue or merge
request there should do it. Let me know what you all decide on for the
length.

We're a bit busy with procps right now (some here might know why) but
once that excitement is over, we can make that change.

psmisc has a similiar issue. comm.h has COMM_LEN of 16, so another simple
change.

While digging around I saw linux/taskstats.h has TS_COMM_LEN of 32
used in struct taskstats.
pthread_getname_np() and pthread_getname_np() in glibc seem to have
this 16 character limit hard-coded too.

Both of these others might not be a problem, I'll stick to procps
and psmisc fixes.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small               https://dropbear.xyz/     csmall at : enc.com.au