Re: Ubuntu

Forrest,

See how things are simple. You installed the driver, you executed wvdialconf which needs to be done only once,

you launched wvdial, and lo and behold you got correctly connected, your modem worked, you just seem not t be aware of it and therefore did not try to use it,

This is the beauty of Linux.

There are too many things in Linux to reasonably expect any human being to tell you all of them.

You have to learn to swim and out your brain at work for that purpose.

There is a fundamental Linux command which you probably do not know: man , which is a short for manual

There is a mandatory rule if you want to do anything intelligent with a computer, in particular make it work:

READ THE MANUAL FIRST , in short RTMF

So, RTMF the manual for wvdial. The command is, of course,    man wvdial

It talks about wvdial.conf . Instead of wasting time by trial and error and mail misunderstandings, RTMF wvdial.conf . You know how, man wvdial.conf I copy from there:

"The wvdialconf(1) program can be used to detect your modem and fill in the Modem, Baud, and Init/Init2 options automatically."

So, of course, RTMF wvdialconf .     man  wvdialconf , that is.

You can even    man man   to lear how to use man.

And what do you need to set in /etc/wvdial.conf that the computer cannot do automatically? the 3 parameters identifying your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and yourself! How can the computer know that ??? I mean, of course, the ISP phone number and the username and password which the ISP has allocated for you.

You wrote:

forrest@warden-Ubu-1:~$ run once sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
bash: run: command not When I pasted the command without the run once this happened:

Frankly, let me ask you, if I had written
run once  " sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf "

 in place of

run once sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

would you have understood what to type?
Look at the harm which blind cut-and-paste can do ... just READ and try to understand what you are doing...

Can you say what lead you to do all of those things which you did starting from:

This time I heard it dial but it was not online so I typed
sudo cp /etc/ppp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf and nothing happened so I
typed sudo ifconfig -a and this happened:

wvdial did its job, it connected you. What it printed proves it, and what the computer produced when you typed  ifconfig -a  , Gd knows for what reason, also proves it.

What you do not seem to have understood is that wvdial succcesfully connected you to the Internet, so the next thing to do is to  begin using the Internet, browsing the Web for example.
wvdial will keep you connected until you stop wvdial (using CTRL-C). An obvious consequence is that you must not try to do anything in the window where wvdial is running, as long as you need the connection.

You do not say why you fiddled with /etc/resolv.conf
Please do not fiddle, unless you definitely know what you are doing.

So, once wvdial stops displaying messages, and does not output the well known
forrest@warden-Ubu-1:~$      prompt, start your browser.
It may work and you will be happy.
But it is likely not to work, so stop wvdial (use CTRL-C) and run the command
"sudo ifconfig eth0 down"
Then start wvdial again and enjoy surfing. Please understand the issue with eth0
You have on your computer some hardware to connect to a network otherwise than using the analog modem which you are trying to make work.
There cannot be two avenues open at the same time between your computer and the Internet, because there is no mechanism in the computer how to choose which one to use when you want for example to send a mail. The address of the avenue is managed by a mechanism known as routing. The status of routing can be seen with "sudo route -n"
When both the network and the modem would run at the same time, each with its route, havoc would result. "sudo ifconfig eth0 off" disables the network, so nothing will disturb the modem connection with the ISP enabled by wvdial.

Jacques

Forrest Charnock wrote:

Hi Jacques:

   I only hear the modem dial as it is booting or when I tell gnome-ppp
to dial. Gnome-ppp does say the modem is there when you query it. And I
have copied and pasted the commands just as I was asked to. With wvdial
it does nothing.
No one has asked me to run once sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf .

forrest@warden-Ubu-1:~$ run once sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
bash: run: command not
When I pasted the command without the run once this happened:

forrest@warden-Ubu-1:~$  sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
[sudo] password for forrest: Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Modem Port Scan<*1>: Scanning ttySHSF0 first, /dev/modem is a link to
it.
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- 56000
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 230400: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 460800: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S1 S2 S3 SHSF1 SHSF2 SHSF3 SHSF4 SHSF5 Modem Port Scan<*1>: SHSF6 SHSF7
Found a modem on /dev/ttySHSF0, using link /dev/modem in config.
Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.
ttySHSF0<Info>: Speed 460800; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"
forrest@warden-Ubu-1:~$
I open the config file with sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf and as always,
the information is there.

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
ISDN = 0
Phone = 2990051
Modem = /dev/modem
Username = fpcharnock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Password = ***********
Baud = 460800

Then I typed sudo wvdial

forrest@warden-Ubu-1:~$ sudo wvdial
[sudo] password for forrest: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT2990051
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT2990051
CONNECT 460800 --> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
Level 3 Comm nas19.nvl1 UQKT2
Username:/login:/Login:
--> Looks like a login prompt.
--> Sending: fpcharnock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
fpcharnock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Password: --> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
    Entering PPP Session.
    IP address is 4.153.65.134
    MTU is 1524.
--> Looks like a welcome message.
--> Starting pppd at Thu Nov 19 21:36:02 2009
--> Pid of pppd: 6612
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: ��2[08]��2[08]
--> pppd: ��2[08]��2[08]
--> pppd: ��2[08]��2[08]
--> local  IP address 4.153.65.134
--> pppd: ��2[08]��2[08]
--> remote IP address 209.244.16.217
--> pppd: ��2[08]��2[08]
--> primary   DNS address 207.69.188.187
--> pppd: ��2[08]��2[08]
--> secondary DNS address 207.69.188.186
--> pppd: ��2[08]��2[08]

This time I heard it dial but it was not online so I typed
 sudo cp /etc/ppp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf and nothing happened so I
typed sudo ifconfig -a and this happened:

forrest@warden-Ubu-1:~$ sudo cp /etc/ppp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
[sudo] password for forrest: forrest@warden-Ubu-1:~$ sudo ifconfig -a eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1d:09:93:8e:fa BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:3638002 (3.6 MB) TX bytes:1165844 (1.1 MB) Memory:fdfc0000-fdfe0000 lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:3808 (3.8 KB) TX bytes:3808 (3.8 KB)

pan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 42:fe:cc:d1:d6:a9 BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol inet addr:4.153.65.134 P-t-P:209.244.16.217
Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3 RX bytes:526 (526.0 B) TX bytes:239 (239.0 B)

forrest@warden-Ubu-1:~$

I hope this information helps you.

Thanks