Re: Connection problem

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/debug_ppp_negotiation.htmlhttp://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/debug_ppp_negotiation.htmlAlessandro,

Your problem is not due to the hardware of the modem nor with the Linux driver nor with establishing a physical connection with your ISP using wvdial.
It is in the login procedure.
There is an excellent document about this problem:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/debug_ppp_negotiation.html
but it may be difficult to learn.

So we possibly can help you, with the above document and some information which you will have to prepare for us.

First, if you use (K)Ubuntu , I do not remember, use sudo before any command. Otherwise, before typing a command in a window, type su to become root in that window.

1-in one window owned by root (or using sudo with Ubuntu), add one line in file /etc/ppp/options:

debug

2-open a second window owned by root and type

tail -f /var/log/messages | tee debug.messages.txt

3-in the other or an additional window owned by root, start wvdial

4-use CTRL-C to stop wvdial after you see "Authentication failed" in the wvdial window.

5-After stopping wvdial, use CTRL-C to stop the command   tail

6-In the "tail" window you will find a file named debug.messages.txt (a copy of what had been printed on the screen by the tail command).

7-send us the file   debug.messages.txt   and  /etc/ppp/options

Ciao - Jacques