Re: Winmodem Help

Peter

Your modem seems supported with the martian driver. Here's in a nutshell how
to install them. First, you neet to get the headers matching your current
running kernel :

	$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Then, download those two files, from another connected machine if needed, and
put them on your desktop in Ubuntu.

http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/martian-20061203.tar.bz2
http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/ltmodem/kernel-2.6/martian/martian-full-20061203.tar.gz

Then, run the following commands :

	$ mkdir ~/modem
	$ mkdir ~/modem/tmp
	$ mv ~/Desktop/martian* ~/modem
	$ cd ~/modem
	$ tar xjvf martian-20061203.tar.bz2
	$ tar xzvf martian-full-20061203.tar.gz -C tmp
	$ cd martian
	$ cp ../tmp/martian/modem/ltmdmobj.o modem
	$ make clean
	$ make
	$ sudo make install
	$ sudo depmod -a
	$ sudo modprobe martian_dev
	$ sudo martian_modem

The last one should start the daemon for your modem so you'll perhaps need to
open another teminal window here. Then, we configure wvdial for your modem :

	$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

Edit the config file to fill in your login, password and the phone number of
your ISP :

	$ sudo nano -w /etc/wvdial.conf

When you're done editing, Ctrl+O to save the file, Enter to confirm and Ctrl+X
to exit nano. You should then be able to dial with :

	$ sudo wvdial

Good luck. Feel free to write back if you have problems.

Firas