Winmodem Help

Hello,

I need some help. I am new to Linux, loaded on an older Notebook computer -
used Dos and Windows for many years.

I installed Ubuntu version. Most of the things work fine, I can connect to
the Internet though a Router. But sometimes I am away from home and want to
use the Winmodem built into the computer.

the Winmodem is an Agere LT system (OEM vendor INTEL PRO/100+ MiniPCI.

I downloaded the scanModem.gz file. Installed a directory /Modem. Extracted,
but found only one file: scanModem (210.2Kb). I use GnomeCommander for
filemanager. If I hit enter A get the "source file" (I think) but cannot
run it. If I type the command sudo ./scanModem nothing happens.

Please advise:

1./ can I use my winmodem
2./ how to activate the scanmodem program?
3./ I suppose to see more than one file after extracting the original (according
to your description). I only found one.
4./ I am not sure how to run the commands, I used the command line on
GnomeCommander (similar to WinCommander)

Thank you for your help

--
Best regards,
 Peter