Re: HDA Intel, Brazil Fedora Core release 6 (Zod)

I leave to  Joern to explain you the control of on hook/off hook under ALSA.
With one remark which Joern may miss if he does not use KDE: alsaconf manages the configuration, alsactl among others allows to keep a current configuration for boot time. KDE, "very intelligently" resets the hook status when the user logs on. Remember that, if you use KDE, after reading Joern again.

About X3: nothing to do with on/off hook. X3 instructs the modem not to wait for a dial tone. This is not like raising the handset when you use a normal voice phone: it instructs the modem to start dialing without waiting for a dial tone - something which of course you would not do with your phone.

Jacques