Re: Machine learning is used in gerrit build

Hi y'all,

Xisco Fauli wrote:
> On 18/8/23 18:48, Noel Grandin wrote:
> > Just recently I have to resume my builds 5 or 6 times to get past the ML
> > stage, only then to discover that I made a mistake that affected some
> > other platform, and then having to change things again, and restart the
> > process.
>
> Maybe having a way to force to build on all platforms as we do with android
> could help.

Yup, that's how we should address this. Sorry, was (mostly) away from
the keyboard the last few days, would have piped up earlier.

Thx Xisco for pointing to that earlier modification.

That said, the new ML-assisted build control is clearly there to make
the overall Jenkins experience better, not worse for devs. The idea
was, to catch likely-fail cases without causing load on the more
expensive/more time-consuming builders (like Windows and Mac), and
trying to keep the queue length for those builders close to zero (so
for normal patches, people would get a build node ~immediately).

Looking at the stats [1], we're still sometimes experiencing queue
lengths north of 35 jobs. The time waiting in the build queue though
dropped recently [2].

What's live now is a first cut, so let's try to fine-tune it. Most
obvious knobs to tweak: threshold to divert build into canary-first
mode, which 'features' to use from any given gerrit submission, and
which build configuration to use for the canary run (might even be a
new setup, with a different compiler/distro-config combination?).

[1] https://ci.libreoffice.org/monitoring/nodes?part=graph&graph=buildQueueLength
[2] https://ci.libreoffice.org/monitoring/nodes?part=graph&graph=buildQueueWaiting

Cheers,

-- Thorsten