Re: Re: gateway failover with linux

On 7/20/2007 9:18 PM, Mohan Sundaram wrote:
In VRRP based gateway pairs, this is normally done by partitioning the LAN to use both gateways by different subnets. i.e G1 is primary for subnet1 with G2 as secondary; G2 is primary for subnet2 with G1 as secondary. This is done by defining multiple vrrp groups. AFAIK, no dynamic balancing methods/ features exist.

Agreed, this would be the easiest to implement active / active with traffic flowing out through both routers. I was trying to state that outbound for the network would flow through one router while inbound would flow through the other router. This could also be extended to mirror the multiple subnets like you are talking about too, though I think load sharing reasoning would be lost at that point as you have more traffic on both routers. At this point in time it would come down to statistics of network load to see how you wanted to do it.

I'm sure there are ways that you can have all traffic spread across both routers in either direction. Though I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I'm going to say that VRRP / Load Balancing / Bridging / Layer 2 Filtering / and other services would be in effect to divide the traffic across both active routers. No matter how you slice it, this is beyond the scope of the OPs question. I was merely stating that things are possible.

Grant. . . .