Re: Re: gateway failover with linux

On 7/20/2007 9:03 PM, Mohan Sundaram wrote:
I think my point was misunderstood. Let us say each of these Linux boxes are connected to a WAN link each. If the WAN gateway/link of a box goes down, vrrp must flag itself down or as secondary. Some similarity to our earlier discussions on redundant gateways. This feature of object tracking is available in CISCO (their patent) but only tracks the interface status and not the gateway reachability. I'd love to have a feature where gateway reachability is tracked.

Each firewall / router / gateway having its own independent wan / internet connection makes things a bit different. First of all, each will have its own public IP address for the associated WAN link and as such probably have it's own NAT configuration.

I wonder, what type of WAN connection are these? Could both be hooked up to both gateways? In other words are they ethernet or something that gets bridged to ethernet or are they some sort of legacy WAN link, i.e. T1, Frame Relay, ATM? If you could connect the WAN links to both systems, you can have even more functionality and you would be back to what I was originally thinking except for the fact that instead of one WAN connection, you have two to make each router aware of.

At the very least, I think you will need to make each router aware of the other one. This way, if a router's (primary) WAN link is not usable it can route the traffic over to the other router and have it route the traffic out to the world. Thus each router would have a primary default gateway of the router at the other end of its WAN link *AND* a secondary default gateway of the other router that it is connected to.

I also think that you are very close to needing to use some sort of monitoring utility / daemon to check the status of the WAN link *AND* to make the other router aware of the status. This may be easily done with a small daemon to monitor the link and update the local routing table in conjunction with a routing protocol between the two routers to keep each aware of the others routing table.

If you have any more information on Cisco's technology I'd be interested in doing some reading about it if you would care to toss it my way.

Grant. . . .