gateway failover with linux

Hi.

I'm wondering if there's a good way to configure a Linux firewall box to
failover to a single backup server, while preserving connection state.

This question has been asked before, but the latest reference I can find
is from 2004, at which time Linux had no equivalent of OpenBSD's pfsync,
though Harald was said to be working on one.

Did anything come of those efforts? Or is there now another alternative?

Any examples or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

-- ams