Re: gateway failover with linux

On 07/19/07 12:02, Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
I'm wondering if there's a good way to configure a Linux firewall box to failover to a single backup server, while preserving connection state.

I'm a bit confused, are you wanting a single Linux firewall / router to have redundant internet connections, or to route traffic to redundant systems behind it and intelligently handle the failure of one or more of said redundant systems? I'm also not sure how conntrackd (comparable to OpenBSD's pfsync) is coming in to play here. Or is there more than one Linux firewall / router that you are wanting to synchronize? Or are you wanting the connection tracking between the multiple systems behind the Linux firewall / router? I think that all of these are possible to various degrees, though each uses a different method to achieve it.

This question has been asked before, but the latest reference I can find is from 2004, at which time Linux had no equivalent of OpenBSD's pfsync, though Harald was said to be working on one.

*nod* Conntrackd is the tool that you want to use to synchronize connection tracking connection meta data between two systems, or the closest thing that Linux presently has (that I'm aware of).

Did anything come of those efforts? Or is there now another alternative?

Yes, conntrackd.

Any examples or advice would be appreciated.

Will you please clarify what you are really wanting to do per above and I'll be more than happy to try to point you in the right direction.

Grant. . . .