Re: Re: gateway failover with linux

Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
Hi Grant.

At 2007-07-19 16:15:01 -0500, gtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm a bit confused, are you wanting a single Linux firewall /
router to have redundant internet connections, or to route
traffic to redundant systems behind it and intelligently
handle the failure of one or more of said redundant systems?

Neither.

I just want a hot standby for a single Linux firewall, such that clients
behind it are not affected by a hardware failure on the firewall. If my
configuration would allow me to someday promote the backup and run both
firewall machines in a load-balancing configuration, so much the better.

The following example looks very much like what I want:

    http://people.netfilter.org/pablo/conntrack-tools/testcase.html

(Can anyone comment on whether I should stick with keepalived as
described above, or try out ucarp?)

Will you please clarify what you are really wanting to do per
above and I'll be more than happy to try to point you in the
right direction.

Thanks, I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.

-- ams
In case your firewall is a proxy for some service, those connections will fail though - unless you can use a virtual interface with the same IP as the source for such connections.

I guess you'll use vrrp in conjunction for failover. It would make sense to use vrrpd with status tracking of WAN gateway but AFAIK no such feature exists as yet.

Mohan