newbie needs policing help

Hi listizens,

Complete tc newbie here. I'm in a pinch because of a mail assault on a server. I've firewalled away many of the most egregious offenders but non-smtp services are still being DOS'ed because of all the mail traffic.

Here is what I've tried.  (I did say newbie ;)

-----------------
#!/bin/sh
#
# policing parent
tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress
#
# filter should slow tcp smtpd traffic to 64k max
tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 \
    u32 match ip dport 0x25 0xFFFF match ip protocol 0x06 0xff \
    police rate 55kbit burst 9k drop flowid :1

...but I haven't the slightest idea how to check up on it. e.g. with iproute2 I could say "ip route list" to see what was in there, but how can I check tc rules? "tc qdisk show" gives some cryptic output but "tc filter show dev eth0" returns nothing.

(I'm not even sure if the above rules make any sense :(  )

Any helpers out there?

TIA,
Mike Wright :m)