Re: multipath algorithm

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 15:28 -0500, Jody Shumaker wrote:

> Personally, I applied the the patches at the time to a 2.6 kernel

What kernel? A vanilla one or a one provide via a distro? Beyond that I
would be curious to know what kernel version.

>  and
> the end result was they would not work correctly for multipath
> routing, and would result in kernel panics after enough route paths
> got cached.

Well it's been quite a while. When I was doing it, I was working with a
2.2 kernel. However, even with my attempts with a 2.4. Without Julian's
patches most things do not work correctly. Like now with my 2.6 kernel
and some arp issues. Gentoo's 2.6.14-hardened-r5

>  I made sure I was applying the correct patch to correct
> kernel sources and that I was using a correct route configuration, but
> noone could offer me any help.

Did you try to get in touch with Julian?

>   In the end the only "solutions" I got
> was to either change back to a 2.4 kernel, or change to redhat.

Change to RH? RH kernel or RH full on distro. Seems like there is
somethings else going on there. Like other patches or modifications to
kernel, or etc causing conflicts with the patches.

> Neither of which were options I could use. In the end this left my
> impression of the patches as rather lacking, especially with the
> kernel panics.

Not sure about that. In my experience, which was load balancing 2 SDSL
lines for close to 2 years without any problems or head aches. Julian's
patches and work is very high quality. Now there have been lots of
changes in the 2.6 kernel. Also seems the patches are very version
specific with 2.6 kernels. You really have to look at the full kernel
version not just major and minor levels.

> Though who knows, maybe if they had been included in the kernel
> there'd be more interest in testing and maintaining them with current
> kernel sources.

>From memory the reasoning for not including had nothing to do with
issues like that. I believe it was more of a demand vs benefit thing. If
everything everyone wanted or used went into the kernel it would be
huge, slow, and etc.

So unless there is a very large demand for things, allot will never be
included. Very possible Julian's patches and work falls into that
category. Since in my experience, I have come across little to nobody
who has done multipath stuff with the Linux kernel. Or multiple ISP's on
box etc. However it's quite popular globally, and I would think anyone
in the small to medium size business or network would be interested.

Still shocked its still not more popular. However allot tend to look for
off the shelf solutions they can write a check for :) The ones that work
are $. The others are limited solutions. Granted the Linux kernel route
is not an elegant one. Since it's crude load balancing and failover and
etc.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.