multipath algorithm

I've been reading about multipath routes and found something that no howto I
saw mentioned so far: multipath algorithms.

The kernel has the followings:
# zgrep MULTIPATH_ /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH_CACHED=y
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH_RR=m
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH_RANDOM=m
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH_WRANDOM=m
CONFIG_IP_ROUTE_MULTIPATH_DRR=m
CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH_EMC

iproute2 also has support for these (at least, it passed them forward to the
kernel):
static char *mp_alg_names[IP_MP_ALG_MAX+1] = {
        [IP_MP_ALG_NONE] = "none",
        [IP_MP_ALG_RR] = "rr",
        [IP_MP_ALG_DRR] = "drr",
        [IP_MP_ALG_RANDOM] = "random",
        [IP_MP_ALG_WRANDOM] = "wrandom"
};

The "ip route add" option is "mpath". I quickly tried with an adsl modem on
ppp0 and dialup one on ppp1 and using drr seems to have worked, tcpdump
showed locally originated traffic going out both interfaces.

Anybody else tried these and care to comment?