High Priotity for VoIP data over Internet link -- newbie

Hi All,

First, let me apologize in advance as I'm just a newbie here and what I want
might be somewhere on the net already; but I just could not find it. I'm
hoping for a lot of helps from you all.

My problem is, I'm having 1mbps link to the Internet through leased line,
which has been quite saturated recently. I'm thinking of putting "Traffic
Shaper" and implement QoS on the Linux box (Fedora Core 4), using TC and
iptables, which I have found very interesting and useful for my connection
problem. Here is the connection diagram:

LAN  ===> Linux Firewall ===> Router ===> Internet

On the LAN part of the diagram, we have a lot of people using VoIP software.
I would like to prioritize packets in the following order using TC and
iptables:

- RTP packets ( esp. VoIP) and other real-time packets (1st priority)
- HTTP/HTTPS and other Web data, ping, telnet, ssh packets (2nd priority)
- FTP, Mail, etc. (3rd priority)

Well, I'm not quite sure of the order of the priorities above; I hope to get
more suggestions from you also. My main focus here is to give 1st priority
to VoIP, 2nd priority to HTTP/HTTPS and some interactive applications, and
3rd priority to FTP, Mail and other applications.

I would like to implement this for both inbound and outbound traffic; but as
I have learned, it is hard to control the inbound traffic. Perhaps, I could
prioritize by TCP and non-TCP packets, with the latter being given higher
priority.

I'm sure, some of you have implemented similar thing already; could I ask
for a script that I could modify for my purpose. I've read on the TC utility
and QoS but could absorb all theory and functions behind. I still need quite
an amount of time for it.

Thank you all in advance.

Khem